The Hot Topics GP Update Course covers the most pertinent medical literature from the last 12 months, perfectly distilled for today's busy GPs and Nurses; from Cardiovascular Medicine to Women's Health, Paediatrics to Mental Health and everything in between.
Our 2019 program will include topics in Women's Health, Respiratory, Paediatrics, Musculoskeletal, Mental Health, Diabetes & Endocrine, Cardiovascular, ENT, Cancer, and Dementia. The list of topics for 2019 are below:
- Hypertension - treatment targets, combination therapies, and home monitoring
- HPV cervical screening - changes to the guidelines
- Pre-conception consultation - approach
- Vaginal prolapse mesh repairs - implications for patients
- e-Mental Health - use in General Practice
- Depression - including the recent systematic review on antidepressants
- Inflammatory arthritis - new guidelines on rheumatoid arthritis and new biologic treatments
- Dementia - assessing fitness to drive
- Subclinical hypothyroidism - an update on diagnosis, treatment and monitoring
- Acute hearing loss - management in General Practice
- COPD exacerbations - when should we use antibiotics and/or steroids?
- Measles - an update as reported cases rise
- Children’s cough - treatment of recurrent cough in children
- Testicular cancer - an update
- Antiplatelets - the use of antiplatelets for stable angina, Stroke and TIA and PAD
- Immunisation - the latest guidelines and update on meningococcal
- STIs - an update on the ‘new’ sexually transmitted infection mycoplasma genitalium
|08.30 - 09.00
||Registration, Tea and Coffee
|09.00 - 10.40
|10.40 - 11.00
|11.00 - 12.30
|12.30 - 13.15
|13.15 - 14.30
|14.30 - 14.55
|14.55 - 16.30
||End Hot Topics
|17.00 - 19.00
||Optional CPR workshop in some locations
* Exact timings on the day may change at presenter's discretion.
Optional CPR Workshop (2 hours at end of Workshop)
This workshop will cover the BLS requirement for ACRRM and RACGP and includes:
- Two hour CPR workshop
- Interactive update of the latest ANZCOR CPR guidelines
- Skill stations including:
- Airway Management
- CPR for Adults
- CPR for Paediatrics
- Use of AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators)
The workshop is accredited for:
- RACGP for 5 Cat 2 points
- ACRRM for 10 BLS points, 4 PRPD points and 2 Core PDP points
Please note: CPR Workshop is NOT available at the Adelaide Hot Topics events.
We reserve the right to cancel the CPR Workshops in the event that minimum numbers are not met. We will refund the registration fee in the event that the CPR Workshop does not proceed.
Throughout the Hot Topics course, there are discussions about the latest clinical evidence, how this evidence may vary from current practice, what changes this might necessitate in updating patient care and Quality Improvement ideas that you can look at in your practice.
More about the course
Book with confidence as we are monitoring the situation closely, and will follow official guidance to implement necessary precautionary measures at our events.
In the event that a presenter is unable to attend (e.g. due to travel restrictions), either a substitute presenter will be booked or the presenter will attend the course virtually over Zoom.
In the event that a course does not go ahead, we will offer a virtual classroom.
For Basic, Advanced & Paediatric Life Support courses, we will reschedule any practical components at a later date.
If you are looking for online courses please see a list of upcoming webinars: