Who is Medcast?
MedCast Pty Limited ACN 166 955 433 (Medcast, we, us, our and similar expressions) is a health professional education company providing:
- e-learning solutions and services for the health industry;
- an e-learning technology platform integrated with webconferencing software;
- educational content development and consulting;
- community and health professionals training and courseware; and
- continuing professional development courses for GPs and other health professionals.
Our privacy commitment
What personal information does Medcast collect?
So that we can provide you with our products and services, we may need to collect information about you or others. If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may not be able to supply you with our products and services.
Information we collect may include your name, email address, telephone number, gender, contact details, medical registration information (eg AHPRA number), professional public register information and professional activity details relating to our products and services, information you submit to us in forms, provide to us by telephone, or in connection with the use of our products and services, and enquiry/complaint details.
If you purchase products or services from us, our payment gateway provider may also require your credit card details to be provided, however these details are NOT stored in any form by us or on any internal or external databases.
We do not generally collect “sensitive information” as described in the Privacy Act. If we do need to collect sensitive information from you, we will seek your consent at or before the time we collect it.
How does Medcast collect my personal information?
Medcast collects personal information from:
- people who use our Website, our products and our services;
- other people who are connected to our operations and activities – including employees, service providers and suppliers.
Whenever reasonable and practical to do so, Medcast collects information about individuals directly from the individual. Where it is unreasonable or impractical to do so, Medcast may collect personal information about you from third parties. For example, we may collect personal information from companies with whom you work, other organisations with whom you have dealings, information service providers or from public sources. Medcast may also obtain information about you from third parties such as health practitioner agencies (eg Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency) or its service providers (including information service providers). Where Medcast collects information about you from a third party, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the fact and circumstances of that collection.
Why does Medcast collect personal information?
Medcast collects personal information so that it can carry out its business activities in a professional and efficient manner, in particular to:
- identify our customers, potential customers and people acting on their behalf;
- improve our services offerings, for example by preparing and distributing surveys which identify and analyse the ongoing needs of our members and the quality of our products and services;
- manage memberships of Medcast, including processing new memberships and renewing existing memberships;
- process applications for enrolment in training programs, webinars or for other products and services offered by Medcast;
- record and maintain user details and profile information;
- provide information on services available to subscribers and users;
- notify subscribers and users about Medcast events;
- provide client and user support;
- collect fees and payments owing to us;
- respond to your enquiries and concerns and resolve disputes;
- deliver health related news and information, targeted marketing regarding our services, education opportunities and offers to you;
- contact you by email or telephone (by voice call or SMS); and
- compare information provided by you for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
To whom is my personal information usually disclosed?
In carrying out our business, we may need to disclose your personal information to others, including:
- Related entities: to related entities of Medcast;
- Education providers: universities and other education providers involved with or engaged by Medcast;
- Health publishers: Health publishing organisations, where you have opted-in to that communication;
- Users: members of Medcast user groups such as discussion groups formed as part of, or separately to a webinar event, to discuss topics of interest to the medical profession, where you have opted-in to that user group; and
- Service Providers: Medcast's service providers, including information technology service providers, printers and distributors of marketing material; payment providers, and external business advisers (such as auditors and lawyers).
We may also be required to disclose your personal information to a third party who is involved in a dealing or proposed dealing (including a sale) of all or part of our assets or business.
Medcast does not sell personal information to other organisations.
Medcast will not use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (secondary purpose) other than the main reason for which it was originally collected (primary purpose), unless:
- the secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information), and you would reasonably expect that Medcast would use or disclose your information in that way;
- you have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose;
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- the use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act (for example, as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
Where we use your personal information to send you marketing and promotional information, you will be provided with an opportunity to opt-out of receiving such information. Unless you exercise your right to opt-out of such communication, you will be taken to have consented to the receipt of similar information and communications in the future.
We will not send you any commercial electronic messages such as SMSs or emails unless this is permitted by the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) (Spam Act) (for example, if we have your express or inferred consent to do so). Any commercial electronic message that we send will identify Medcast as the sender and will include our contact details. The message will also provide an unsubscribe facility. If you do not wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please:
- unsubscribe from our database using the unsubscribe facility in the relevant electronic communication; or
Do Not Call Register
Website usage information and cookies
We collect limited information about people who use our online resources, in order to track use of those resources and to maintain and improve those resources. Information collected includes:
- server address
- top level domain name
- the date and time of visit
- pages access and documents downloaded
- previous site visited
- if the person has visited our Website before, and
- type of browser used.
You may decline our cookies if your browser or browser add-on permits, but doing so may interfere with your use of our Website and our services. You can refer to the ‘help’ section of your browser or installed applications for instructions on blocking, disabling or deleting cookies. You may choose to opt out of Google Analytics through the Google.
We take reasonable steps to protect the privacy and security of your information, including entering into arrangements with third party service providers which require them to maintain the security of your information. However, you acknowledge Medcast cannot control the security of data collected and stored on third party platforms and that there are inherent risks in transmitting information electronically and over the internet. Medcast takes reasonable steps to ensure the security of data stored on our servers.
In what situations may I deal with Medcast anonymously or by pseudonym?
You have the option to deal anonymously or by pseudonym if you contact us and you merely seek general information about our products and services. However, if you require information which is specific to your circumstances then it may not be possible for you to deal with us anonymously or by pseudonym.
Where is my personal information stored?
Your personal information will be stored on a password protected electronic database, which may be a Medcast database, a database maintained by a cloud hosting service provider or other third party database storage or server provider. We may also use third party providers to deliver email content to you, or to provide us with analytical information about the use of our Website and online resources. All such personal information is maintained within the effective control of Medcast. Some of the parties with which we exchange personal information are located outside Australia in countries including the United States and Europe.
Although these third parties are subject to privacy and confidentiality obligations imposed by contract or the regulatory frameworks of the jurisdiction in which they are located, you acknowledge that:
- they may not always comply with those obligations, or those obligations may differ from the obligations imposed by the Privacy Act, the Spam Act and the Do Not Call Register Act;
- we will not be accountable for a breach by those third parties of any of these obligations;
- in the event of breach, you may not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act; and
- the third party may be subject to foreign laws which might compel further disclosures of personal information (e.g. to government authorities)
Your personal information will be held by us until we de-identify it or destroy it in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act.
Access to your personal information
- access would pose a serious threat to the life, safety or health of any individual or to public health or public safety;
- access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- denying access is required or authorised by a law or a court or tribunal order;
- access would be unlawful; or
- access may prejudice commercial negotiations, legal proceedings, enforcement activities or appropriate action being taken in respect of a suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
If you agree to us verifying your identity using e-verification (i.e. electronic identity verification by a credit reporting agency), you have the right to access the verification assessment provided by the relevant credit reporting agency.
We request that you identify, as clearly as possible, the type/s of information requested. We will respond to your request to provide access to your personal information within 30 days and you agree we may charge you our reasonable costs incurred in supplying you with access to this information.
Updating your personal information
You may ask us to update or delete the personal information we hold about you at any time. You accept that we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making any corrections to or deletion of your information. We also have obligations to take reasonable steps to correct personal information we hold when we are satisfied that it is inaccurate, out- of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading for the purpose for which it is held.
If you require access to, or wish to update your personal information, please contact us at Medcast, using the contact details below.
Please contact the Medcast privacy contact using the above details if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Medcast.
Problems or queries
MedCast Pty Ltd
Level 12, 92 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000