School refusal occurs when a child is unable to attend school due to emotional distress about attending, and despite parent’s best efforts to enforce attendance. Concern has arisen about increasing levels of school refusal in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic. This webinar will define school refusal and summarise the range of factors underlying school refusal including child, parent/family and school factors. A collaborative approach to responding to school refusal will be described including child, parents and school strategies and skills.
At the conclusion of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Define school refusal and compare it with other attendance problems
- Explain the range of factors that underlie school refusal
- Identify tools that can support assessment of school refusal
- Describe a collaborative approach to managing school refusal involving child, parent and school
- Identify the key elements of an attendance plan
The Webinar Series
The webinar series examines some of the online mental health treatment programs that GPs and Allied Health Professionals need to know about, focusing on evidence-based programs that have been developed in Australia. The evidence around the efficacy and usefulness of different programs will be discussed along with practical aspects of using the programs.
- Wednesday, 1pm AEST 1st June 2022
- Wednesday, 8pm AEST 1st June 2022
GPs and GP registrars, psychologists and allied mental health practitioners, in fact any health professional with an interest in improving outcomes for patients with mental health conditions.