Diet and Mental Health: What, Why and How
This webinar will provide an overview of the current research evidence regarding diet as a key determinant of and treatment target for mental health across the life stages, including a brief exploration of mechanisms of action. It will also provide clear guidance on the principles of improving mental health outcomes through dietary support and counselling
- Recognise the role of diet in prevention and treatment of mental health disorders
- Explore the mechanisms linking diet and mental health
- Discuss the principles and strategies of dietary behaviour change
The webinar series
The webinar series examines some of the online mental health treatment programs that GPs need to know about, focusing on evidence-based programs that have been developed in Australia. The evidence around the efficacy and usefulness of different programs will be discussed along with practical aspects of using the programs.
- e-Mental Health programs are a useful adjunct to mental health treatment in primary care
- there is good evidence that patient outcomes improve with the use of e-Mental Health programs
- a variety of locally-developed e-Mental Health programs are available
- GPs need to be familiar with the programs their patients are using and be able to recommend the use of these programs appropriately.
GPs and GP registrars, psychologists and allied mental health practitioners, in fact any health professional with an interest in improving outcomes for patients with mental health conditions.